Many of our stories began in rural Alberta and at UFA we are proud of the historical journey that began right here in our backyard. Agriculture fuels every part of our existence feeding the world, supplying its energy and driving the economy. There is no other industry that has more impact socially, economically and physically than agriculture.
UFA’s achievements and successes are significant. For more than 109 years, our co-operative has served the businesses and communities of farmers and ranchers. We believe it’s essential to provide value that goes beyond a product and a price. Our co-operative has and will always be guided by what’s best for our members and the communities they live and work in.
If you believe in co-operatives; and if you have a mind for agriculture, an eye for business, and a passion for making a difference, then we need your expertise and character to help lead our agricultural co-operative into the future. This is your opportunity to share in our legacy, and to have the opportunity to ensure prosperity for our rural communities.
UFA members are represented by elected delegates, who in turn elect its board of 11 directors. This year, we’re seeking candidates to fill 4 director positions.
UFA Directors are elected to three-year terms. It is their role to govern the co-operative; provide strategic direction; represent ownership; understand the needs of members and owners; and ensure the senior leadership team acts in the best interests of members. Board members have a fiduciary duty to act honestly and in good faith, with a view to the best interests of UFA. Directors attend quarterly board meetings and any additional meetings or committee meetings as required.
We’re seeking nominations for candidates who meet the criteria and possess specific skills and experience in the following areas:
- Individuals who will uphold co-operative values in both word and action.
- Effective communicators, strong decision-makers who have depth in one or more of the following: corporate and co-operative governance, strategic planning, risk management, financial literacy, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate leadership.
- Individuals who are leaders in the Alberta farming and business community with knowledge and experience gained from working in agriculture, farming/ranching, co-operatives, and businesses generally (ownership and leadership) and from serving on boards.
- Individuals with in-depth knowledge in one or more of the following: petroleum, banking and finance, human resources, accounting and auditing, corporate planning, retailing in the North American context and other related business disciplines and practices.
- Gender diversity, seeking females to provide greater gender balance on the board.
- Exhibits UFA’s core values and acts with exceptional ethical integrity and in the best interests of UFA. Ability to speak with one voice, unified and solidly standing behind joint decisions. Collaborative in approach, constructive in tone, and respectful to management, employees, delegates, members and other stakeholders of UFA.
- Always willing to listen, learn, and develop. Able to apply learning and make wise strategic decisions.